Apple on Monday released new firmware for the HomePod and HomePod mini. The new HomePod 15 software update brings several new features designed to work in conjunction with tvOS 15 and iOS 15, which were also released on Monday.
– Select a single or pair of HomePod mini as the default speakers for your Apple TV 4K for rich room-filling sound and clear dialogue.
– Media playback controls automatically appear on your iPhone’s Lock Screen when a HomePod mini playing music is nearby
– Set a lower bass level to enjoy music without disturbing the neighbors
– Ask Siri to turn on your Apple TV, start playing a favorite movie, and control playback while you watch
– Siri automatically adjusts its speaking level based on the room environment and volume of the user
– Ask Siri to control smart home devices at a specific time like turning off the lights in 10 minutes
– Extend access to HomePod throughout your home by enabling Siri voice control on compatible HomeKit accessories
– Support for package detection with HomeKit Secure Video
HomePod software is installed automatically on the HomePod unless the feature is disabled, but it can also be manually updated in the Home app by doing the following:
Once you’ve tapped on “Software Update,” you’ll see the current version of the HomePod software that is installed on your HomePod or HomePod mini. You can also toggle off automatic updates if you want.
If there is an available update, tap the “Install” button to update your HomePod. If you have more than one HomePod or HomePod mini in your home, each one will be updated at the same time via this software update feature.